Thursday, November 10, 2005

It's Finally Arrived ...


It seems like years ago that I ordered a headstone to mark my parents resting places, but I guess it's actually only been about 4 months. Even so, it's been a long time coming.

I guess my mom just couldn't bring herself to order a headstone after my father died and preferred to leave that task to Dan and me. Or maybe she didn't like the thought of seeing her own name engraved alongside my Dad's. But for whatever reason, it's taken 20 plus years to have this stone in place.

It means a great deal to me to have the stone there, acknowledging their lives and marriage. In recent weeks I've noticed as I stopped by the cemetary (Parma Union on Parma Center Road) that preparations were being made to put the stone in place. Since then I've been anxiously awaiting the day when I'd drive up and see it there.

Yesterday was that day. Despite it being a cold, windy, and very rainy afternoon, the weather stopped just long enough for me to be able to get out of the car and take a look, run my hand over the carving and enjoy the little cupid I had them add in remembrance of my Mom's favorite gift from my Dad -- a set of tumbling cherubs.

I stopped by today when it was a little lighter and brighter out and took these pictures. I'm already thinking how nice it will look in the spring when I can plant some flowers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barb, this is really beautiful. What a lovely choice. What a good daughter.