Saturday, October 22, 2005

The Adventure Begins ...

I've always admired my mother-in-law, Glennys, who has faithfully recorded the happenings of her life in her diary for the past, well, for as long as I've known her. And that's a long time!

No matter what information we've wanted to recall, she has always been able to go back to her diaries and find the details that our memories had long forgotten -- Josh's first word, when Daniel took his first steps, when we got the news that Breanna was on her way... all the important events in our life that we mistakenly believed we could never forget.

Imagine my delight (and complete surprise) on May 10th, 1999 when Dave picked me up from work and pulled out a fancy gift bag and handed me a card. I couldn't imagine what the occasion was. Lo and behold, it was the 22nd anniversary of our first date. The card spoke of love that had lasted through the years and the gift -- well, Dave had rented "Annie Hall", the movie we'd gone to that night so many years ago.

I couldn't believe that he could remember the exact date. And in fact, he didn't. But Mom's diary had made mention of the fact and all it took was a wee bit of searching to track down the day. Imagine that! I guess that's the magic of just jotting down a few thoughts each day.

Despite my best intentions, I just never seemed to be able to get into the diary mode. And yet there are so many things happening in my life that I want to remember and be able to look back on. Perhaps a blog is the answer.

I plan to jot down occasional musings of the events taking place in the Paine family's lives. I'll add pictures to help bring the details alive and keep them fresh in our minds. Perhaps there'll be a comment or two from the family and friends who may happen to stop by and read along...

Let's see where this adventure leads!

1 comment:

Dave Paine said...

What a great way to record your thoughts and ideas! This will definitely be on my list of blogs to check out frequently. Good luck Barbie!