Thursday, November 20, 2008

Finally -- I'm Done!

It's been a long 12 weeks. I've been going to the Center for Workforce Development every Monday and Wednesday night and Saturday morning since September 8th. Well, actually September 10th because I missed the very first class because William was born on September 8th!

It's been intense to say the least and I've put in more time studying over the past few months than anything else. Have to admit, I never expected there to be so much to learn or that the course would be so demanding in terms of homework and studying so my "free" time since the course started has been very limited. I feel like the course gave me a good beginning foundation in phlebotomy but I think what I learned will take on new meaning once I'm applying the knowledge on the job.

One nice bonus was meeting some great people. It's hard not to get to know everyone when you're together so much. We practiced venipuncture on each other and worked on homework together ... so it's only natural that some personal stuff finds it's way in.

I'm going to miss these ladies -- Erin is being considered for a promotion at Del Monte Lodge so she may not go into phlebotomy but if she does, she's hoping to get into the Red Cross or Strong. Rebecca has previous experience working as a medical assistant in a doctor's office and is hoping to find a job in that area. Christina already works for Hill Haven Nursing Home (which is part of the RGH Health System) and is hoping to transfer into a phlebotomy position.)



A few of our classmates were planning to come and celebrate our graduation last night at the Distillery -- missing was Danielle (who just found out she's pregnant! Unfortunately she wasn't feeling too great last night AND her 3 year old, Lexi, was sick so she opted to go home)and Renee (who we thought was coming but never showed. Hopefully she didn't get lost!) Renee is hoping to get a job at Strong.

We talked about getting together for breakfast one Saturday a month -- if nothing else we all have each other's email addresses and can keep in touch.

For now, I'm thrilled to be finished with school for a while!

No comments: