Sunday, December 07, 2008

Follow Up on Book Club Brunch ...

What a great time I had today. Linda had such a beautiful table set with all sorts of Christmas plates and treats on the table. We had the Orange Stuffed Baked French Toast that I brought (it was pretty good -- I don't know if I'd make it again though) and Linda made a hashed brown potato and ham dish that was great. We had fresh fruit and almond bread -- oh! and Mimosas! Yum!!

After we chatted and talked about just about everything under the sun -- from how the economy is affecting the real estate market (Barb is a realtor) to the Christmas Tea they had at church the night before we picked up and headed to the movie. Unfortunately, Barb had to go sit at an open house and Jeannie had another committment so it was just Linda, Patty, and I that went.

I had only read part of the book so I wasn't sure what happened. That was probably a good thing because I really was in suspense as to how some parts of the movie would turn out. I loved Dakota Fanning in the role of Lily. She did such an incredible job. She was really the perfect choice for that part. Queen Latifah was also just the right pick for August Bootwright. In fact, the movie was perfectly cast. Alicia Keys was superb in the role of June -- the sullen, cello playing sister. And Jennifer Hudson as Rosalee (later named July) was terrific too.

I loved the story, loved how they showed the relationships of the women, loved how they portrayed the era -- a time when Civil Rights was so new and raw to the country.

Now I want to read the book again (and finish it this time.) It was such a fun afternoon. I have really missed doing this and am so looking forward to future book club get togethers.

I think we might all go and see Marley and Me in January! I don't think Dave really is keen on seeing that so I'm looking forward to it already.

No comments: